Finding the best options for flying to Barcelona can be difficult. You have lots of options available with nearby Reus and Girona airports, as well as the main Barcelona El Prat airport to consider. While El Prat is by far the closest and easiest to access Barcelona, it is not always the cheapest option. In this article we will give you the information you need to plan your trip with information and prices for all three airport options, so that you can come meet us on one of our free tours!
Airport parking is something that a lot of people forget to consider when they plan their trip to Barcelona. Parking at your departure airport can be expensive, especially if booked last-minute during the peak holiday season. As most of us will end up driving o the airport, this can be an expensive oversight, but one that is easy to fix!
The first thing you need to do is to ensure you always book airport parking as far in advance as possible. Booking ahead ensures you have the most options available and can save up to 60% compared to the price of booking the day of your flight. The second thing you should do is use a comparison website. For UK travellers, Parkhero is a great option as it allows you to find, compare and book airport parking across the UK. For example, if you are looking for London Gatwick parking, you simply need to choose the airport, enter your travel dates and will be able to see all the available options ranked by price. Many of these sorts of websites, just like Parkhero, don’t charge you a booking fee, so it is a fantastic way to save! To find a similar website for your country, just type ‘compare parking at…airport’ into a search engine.
Choosing your airport
Barcelona El Prat Airport
Just 13km to the south of Barcelona you will find El Prat airport. It is the closest airport to the city centre and the largest airport in the region. There are flights form around the world and it is easy to find a connection to this airport. Some of the more popular airlines include Transavia, Wizz Air, Ryanair, Iberia, Vueling, Delta, Qatar Airways and American Airlines. Ryanair provides great value flights from El Prat but they do often come with the disadvantage of being an inconvenient time, especially for the cheapest options. It is a good idea to check your transfer options before booking very early or late flights from El Prat.
As the airport is only 13 km away from the centre, there are plenty of easy transfer options:
- Metro – there is a station at the airport providing direct access to the city centre on the L9 Sud line with tickets costing around €5
- Aero Bus – this is actually the quickest transfer option to the city with tickets costing €5.90
- Taxi – offers the most convenient option for those with lots of luggage and cost between €25 and €35
The second closest airport to Barcelona is Girona at 100 km to the north. This is a popular airport for budget airlines, such as Ryanair and Transavia, and is a good choice if you are looking for a cheap flight to Barcelona. However, you will have a longer transfer to Barcelona. It is also a great airport if you want to explore Girona itself and the Costa Brava, as well as Barcelona. Many of the transfer options have been catered to the times of the budget flights, so you will not have much difficulty finding yours.
Your transfer options:
- Train – you will need to take a bus or taxi to Girona Train Station from where you can catch a regional train taking 90 minutes for €8 or the AVE express train taking just 40 minutes for €17.40
- Bus – Line 602 will take you to Barcelona via Girona, takes 75 minutes (runs every 20 to 25 minutes) and tickets cost around €20
- Taxi – directly from the airport to Barcelona there are fixed fares of €127 during the day and €140 during the night and at weekends and takes about 80 minutes
Reus is the furthest airport from Barcelona at 120 km to the south. It is the go-to airport for the nearby coastal resorts, such as the ever-popular Salou. Like Girona, it is a hub for budget carriers, such as Ryanair, easyJet, Transavia and Jet2.com.
Your transfer options:
- Bus – the schedule can depend on flight schedules and take around 120 minutes to Barcelona and costs just €3
- Taxi – takes around 80 minutes and costs about €185
Written by Matthew Williams